An electrical short circuit near the stage is initially thought to have been the cause of the deadly fire at the Mountain B pub in Sattahip district of the eastern province of Chon Buri during the early hours of Friday morning, according to Chon Buri Deputy Governor Naris Niramaiwong.
Fifteen people have died and dozens were injured as a result of the deadly inferno.
Meanwhile, Bundit Pradabsuk, a board member of the Association of Siamese Architects under Royal Patronage, said today that the fire at the Mountain B pub and the deadly inferno at the Santika Club in Bangkok’s Sukhumvit area over a decade ago have several similarities, such as the design of the premises not being in accordance with safety regulations, low ceilings, interiors lined with flammable noise absorbent materials, the apertures for entry and exit were narrow and the fire exits were not practical in emergency situations.
He said that the original design of the building was not intended as a pub.
Regarding the interior of the Mountain B pub, he said that the area covers about 200 square meters, adding that used car tires, which were found on the roof of the pub, are believed to have been used by the pub owner to absorb the noise from the music, after there had been numerous complaints from people in the neighbourhood.
He also said that the ceiling of the pub was lined with metal sheets and the weight of the car tires might help to reduce the vibration of the metal sheets and the structure of the building when the band was playing.
Bundit said that, at this stage, the source of the fire cannot be pinpointed, because most of the electrical wiring and the distribution and fuse board were completely destroyed.
Sattahip Mayor Narong Bunbancherdsri, meanwhile, said that the owner of the pub sought permission to erect a building to operate a restaurant in either 2018 or 2019 and permission was granted by engineers after having studied the blueprints for the building.
He admitted, however, that officials were totally unaware that the restaurant had since been partially modified into a pub,until the fire incident on Saturday.
Phlu Ta Luang police said they will oppose bail for the pub’s owner, 27-year-old Pongsiri Punprasong, claiming that he might attempt to flee or interfere with witnesses, adding that he will be brought before the Pattaya court on Monday for the extension of his detention.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service