A predawn fire broke out today at a well-known discotheque in Pattaya's walking street, forcing hundreds of Thai and foreign tourists to run out in panic.
Fortunately nobody was hurt in the brief fire which happened at Natcha Club at 3.30 am today.
According to Pattaya police, the fire was alerted to the police around 3.30 am, and they immediately called in fire police to rush to the fire scene at Natcha Club, along with rescue workers of the Sawang Boriboon charity foundation.
As three fire trucks arrived, tourists were still running out of the place in panic.
Authorities and rescue workers then sealed off the area and prevented unauthorized persons to enter while facilitating the firemen to work.
The fire was put out by the staff of the discotheque before spreading.
Initial questioning of eyewitnesses revealed that the fire started at the office room of the club on the second floor.
One tourist who ran out said about 100 people were drinking and dancing to DJ music when a staff ran to them and shouted fire, forcing all to run out in panic as smoke was starting to come out and cover the room.
Initial damage was put at one million baht.
The actual cause of the fire was inspected by forensic police this morning.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)