Siam Makro wholesale chain store has agreed to take responsibility for medical fees of 39 people in Nan province who have suffered from food poisoning after having eaten eclair pastry bought from its chain store in Nan and groceries in the northern province.

All the victims reportedly told health officials at Nan hospital they ate eclair bought from Makro store and groceries which bought the pastry from the same source.

Mrs Wasanee Bunyathalung, deputy director of marketing of Siam Makro, said the company is ready to cooperate with all parties concerned to investigate the case and to help pay for the victims' medical bills.

Dr Natthaporn Prakob, Nan hospital's director, said medical staff had been told to keep good care of the patients. He also warned consumers to refrain from eating eclair for the time being until it is proven that the pastry is safe.

Most of the 39 victims have been discharged leaving six still hospitalized since Sunday, but their conditions are not serious.

Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)

By tladmin