Excessive levels of a substance in the benzodiazepine family, formerly marketed as “Valium” but now called Diazepam, has been detected in the bodies of some of the young Thais who died after possibly using the drug cocktail “ketamine powdered milk”, or ketamine cocktail.
Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said today that lab tests show about 200 milligrams of Diazepam, equivalent to about 100 sleeping pills, in their bodies, which is believed to have contributed to their deaths.
He said that 93-99% of the ketamine cocktail was found to be Diazepam and, normally, each sleeping pill contains just 2 milligrams. Consuming more than five pills is considered an overdose and can be fatal.
Nine youths, suspected of overdosing on ketamine powdered milk, have been found dead in their apartments, in different areas in Bangkok, since last week.
The minister said that police and officials from the Food and Drugs Administration have been investigating how the victims obtained Diazepam, which is a prescription only medication in Thailand.
Source: Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS)